Saturday, August 30, 2014

That One-In-A-Million Shot!

Dwight’s recent email calling for photos for the TMN calendar got me thinking…. I need to send in that perfect photo.  As I was looking through folders and folders of photos on the computer I found that One-In-A-Million shot… you know the one... something that just can’t be duplicated.   I give you, my One-In-A-Million shot:


Point Bolivar Lighthouse, Bolivar Peninsula.


Now, let me just say that my one-in-a-million shots are usually about timing more than anything else.  That’s the Point Bolivar Lighthouse on Bolivar Peninsula and yes, that’s a streetlight almost perfectly framed right in front.  Rick and I were driving back from birding so this picture was taken while traveling about 45 miles an hour.  What excellent timing!  Who could ever reproduce this wonderful shot?!   Ha ha…  That’s why I say I take one-in-a-million shots.

Actually, I’m quite good at taking bad pictures.  Lately when I’ve been trying to take pictures of birds around the house and other nearby places I seem to time it when they’re looking at me.  I just need to add a conversation bubble to say, "Hey!  What are you looking at?"


Northern Cardinal, Ruby-Throated Hummingbird and Swainson's Hawk posing for the camera (left to right).


Or, the bird will be there one minute and disappear the next.


Ruby-Throated Hummingbird, here and gone.


Not properly focusing the camera, getting the subject partially in the frame, or missing the subject completely… that’s me!  So now, for your viewing pleasure… my horrible photos.  Enjoy!



Blurry katydid on the side of the house.



Blurry male Summer Tanager, female Orchard Oriole, and two male Indigo Buntings at the drip at Boy Scout Woods, High Island.


Two female Orchard Orioles at the fountain through the window screen.



Common Nighthawk, upper center of the photo.



First year male Summer Tanager.



Bell's Roadside Skipper.



Yellow-throated Vireo preening so it's head is missing.



Ground shot... there was a bird there, honest!


These are examples of what NOT to send to Dwight!   I’m sure you have much better photos for the TMN calendar!

From Dwight:

It's time to start thinking about the 2015 chapter wildlife-calendar.  Any photo of native Texas wildlife/scenery may be submitted.

Photos should be as high in resolution as possible with JPEG being the preferred format.   Members may submit up to 6 photos.  The submission deadline will be October 1st so that we can have the finished product before Thanksgiving.  Photos can be emailed to me or brought to the next TMN meeting.   Be sure to email large files separately to ensure that they go through.  Please include a description of the photo (location/species etc.). 

Start screening those photos and pick your best ones.  You photo might be on the cover next year!


Dwight doesn’t need your one-in-a-million shots… just your perfect pictures!  Remember to send them in for the calendar before October 1st!

P.S. - If you have any one-in-a-million shots you'd like to share post them in the comments section or to the Facebook page!  



No comments:

Post a Comment